Tuesday, February 5, 2008

I'm not even a parent yet......

I'm not even a parent yet but I spent the evening in the ER!!!

Last night my brother stopped by here with a friend after class. Matt said he didn't feel to good and he did look like he was getting sick. I told him to just spend the night at my house instead of driving home to Mom and Dad's, he agreed without any argument. He went straight to bed, a little later my cell phone rang and it was him calling me from the bedroom, I was still out in the living room watching TV. When he called all he said was "help" but he was speaking very quite, he felt horrible. I went in to see what he needed help with and he was wanting some NyQuil, I went out and got it for him and after he took it went back to the TV. A little later he called me again so I went right in, on that trip in I gave him another blanket, he was complaining his feet were cold. He also asked for some more pillows to prop himself up, as I was helping him he told me that he fells better if he's sitting up that when he lays down it feels worse. I helped him sit up, and left to once again continue my TV watching (Nick at Night). Once again a few minutes later he called me, so I went in there, the words out of his mouth were "Take me to the hospital". I threw on my clothes and we were out the door in no joke, 3 minutes. (it was currently 10:49 as I'm pulling down the street) Matt is not one to see a doctor at all, he'll usually fight off the sickness himself, he only goes if he has broken bones and such. So off to the ER we went, we arrived and got him checked in waited forever of course and finally at 12:35am they called him back, I stayed in the waiting room, he is a grown man after all. After I had been sitting alone for 45 minutes, I was a little worried. I asked the person at the desk if I could check on my brother, I just wanted them to tell me he was fine, but instead they took me back to him, which makes a lot of things run through your mind on the short but what seems like a LONG walk back. I got to his room and he was laying on the bed alone, no doctor, turns out he was waiting for the nurse to come back so he could leave. Shortly after I got there she came back with his paper work and RX's. We went up front to check out (and found out he does indeed have a co pay) as the lady is running his card he tells me he needs to use the restroom so off he goes the five steps to the restroom, he comes back to the counter and is leaning on it because he feels really bad, I was rubbing his back and all the sudden the throws up on the floor. The lady (who was rude the whole time by the way) asks if we need a bucket. I said "yes please, I'm so sorry" but what I wanted to say was "no that's fine, we'll just let him vomit on your floor grumpy!!" He then threw up again in the bucket and took a seat in a wheelchair that was luckily close by. I headed out to the car to drive around and pick him up so we could then head home. Once we finally arrived home it was 2:30am. He went right to sleep, I was in bed by 2:45 only to wake up at 5:00am to make sure he called his boss, that took some time because he would wake up I would leave the room and he would fall right back to sleep, after a few calls he finally got a hold of his boss, and back to sleep the two of us went. I was up again at 8:45 to check on him (and let the dogs out to pee of course). Needless to say Matt and I had a long night! Which of course I had a busy day today, since both of my parents were working and I'm still unemployed I went ahead and got his RX's filled and some popsicles and such for him, as well as run my own errands. I'm pretty tired tonight. I'm surprised I'm still awake at 10:15!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW. Poor Matt. That really sucks. Yeah, you got a taste of motherhood. When the kids throw up, we get to clean it up! We have to do everything we can to make them feel better and hope that we don't get sick. I hope he feels better soon. What a nice sister you are Alli. :)